[Zope3-dev] 3.1 Timeframe

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Mar 9 04:13:45 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Friday 04 March 2005 15:24, victor at itfreedom.com wrote:
>
>>Hello, I was wondering if the fine Zope 3 folks could give me a rough idea
>>when the general 3.1 release might come out?  I mean, when the currently
>>available source would be considered ready to be called such.
>
> This depends totally on how fast the outstanding bugs will be fixed; there are
> several non-trivial serious ones. Once all the bugs have been fixed and XXX
> comments addressed one way or another, Zope X3.1 will go into beta.
> Theoretically, this could be next week, but my experience from the X3.0
> release tells me it will be more of the time scale of 2-3 months.
>
> I wish I could give you a much narrower date range, but the community is
> currently too small to make sound predictions.

We realize that the extreme length and unpredictability of this release
process seems rather odd to you, so I'll try to offer some explanation
about what I believe to be the underlying causes. I'll also explain how
you can help speed it up.

Besides lack of resources, the length and unpredictability is due to
certain quality assurance features and requirements of the Zope 3
release process. Besides being resource intensive by themselves, these
requirements also discourage the contribution of further resources that
could speed up matters.

If you feel inclined to contribute to the release, note that it is not
possible to get an overview of all outstanding things that need to be
fixed (this contributes to the unpredictability of the process). What
you need to do is grep the Zope 3 source for the character combination
"XXX", read the comments there, and probably ask the programmer who
checked in the "XXX" for an explanation about what ought to be done.

Regards,

Martijn