[Zope3-dev] Introspector

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Sun Mar 13 11:38:46 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Saturday 12 March 2005 18:28, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> I recall something about moving the introspector into the actions
>> menu. It's gone entirely now. Why? This was a very useful tool.
>
> Because it was unmaintained code. Also, Jim and I think that adding
> interfaces is YAGNI. If you have a really good use case, then tell
> us. Using the new public apidoc API, it should be very easy to create
> an instance-specifc introspector view again. I just do not want to
> spend time working on it, so I implemented the easiest solution
> possible.

The use case is wanting to see what interfaces an object provides. I
don't have the API help hooked in because I don't need or want it. But a
tool that lets me see what an object is (base classes and interfaces) is
critical, especially when tracking down funny issues with adapting, etc.

Adding interfaces is hardly YAGNI -- it's useful for testing and
experimentation.

I also don't follow the "unmaintained" argument. Was the introspector is
broken?

 -- Garrett