[Zope3-dev] Re: Heads-up: Zope 2.8, Zope 3 and Five

Christian Heimes christian at cheimes.de
Tue Mar 15 13:31:51 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> [Could you point me to the issue or mail describing the old-style BTree
> problem? I may have run into it under another name or something.]

http://zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1695

Persistent* were fixed yesterday by Tim Peters

> Some things mitigate this problem:
>
> * integrating Five doesn't actually imply many significant changes to
>   Zope 2.8; it'll just be its own product.
>
> * integrating zope 3 only means some integration in the build script for
>   Zope 2. It's just a Python library otherwise.
>
> * we're separating the work on Zope 2.8 and Zope 2.8 + Five, so we can
>   back out from this plan if we want to, later, and go the 2.8 and 2.9
>   route anyway.
>
> So, in effect, we're not actually *creating* any new features. We're
> also not doing any deep integration work (Five already has that work).
> The features already exist and we're just distributing them along with the
> standard Zope 2.8 distribution. We're not ambitious about new stuff at all.
> I hope that is somewhat different from the path Plone took for 2.0.

That sounds a little bit better but Jim was worried for a long time to
add zope.interfaces and related. Just read the last discussion over
adding parts of ZopeX3 to Zope2.8.

On the other hand we maybe get more developers from Five and ZopeX3 into
Zope2 because they want to use Zope 2.8.

Let's see what the future will reveal us.

Christian