[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Mar 18 09:23:30 EST 2005

Hi Jim

Behalf Of Jim Fulton
> Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 2:31 PM
> To: zope3-dev at zope.org
> Subject: [Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze
>

> Lets freeze features for X3.1 on April 2.  I propose to make
> the X3.1 branch on that day.  At that point, we'll start working
> on a beta release. Perhaps we can make a beta release the following
> week. At that point, we'll need to decide what will be included in
> X3.1.
>
> If you are working on new features, please try to wrap them up
> long before April 2.  This is particicularly important for packages
> included in X3.0.
>
> Jim
>
> P.S.  Now that that the decision has been made to include Zope 3
>        in Zope 2.8, I'd really prefer that Zope 2.8 use X3.1 code,
>        not X3.0 code. In general, having code shared by Zope 2 and
>        Zope 3 will complicate deprecation, probably increasing the
>        length of time we must keep backward-compatibility code.
>        I'd like to try to keep the Zope 3 code used in Zope 2 and
>        the Zope 3 code used in Zope 3 in sync as much as possible.

Uhaaa,

What does this mean? Do we have to run tests for Zope 2.8
if we develope on the z3 trunk? Are we now responsible for
both (z3 and z2) if we work on the z3 trunk and the backwards
compatibility? If so I think it's really to early. If not
doesn't matter. I'm not really happy to take care on zope 2.8
and future releases of Zope2 since we don't have finshed
the Zope3 core development.

What I mean with finishing the Zope3 development is:
- refactoiring the form/widget framework
- refactoring the IFile implementation
- Solve the problem for nested sites and Authentication
  (actually we have a two step login mechnism)
- And many other unsolved problems where nobody is working on
  (See bugtracker) including me ;-(

Perhaps this doesn't affect the Zope 2.8 work.
But then, it whould be nice if somebody can make a statement
which packages are used form Zope 2.8 and what's the target!

btw:
I wasn't working with Zope2 since 2 1/2 years and I don't
know the Zope2 code good enough for development!

It whould be nice to see a team which can test and support
this migration path. Perhaps they have also to support poeple
how don't know both zope worlds.

Or at least we should have a wiki which describes what's
actually going on and describes the next steps.

Don't understand my statement wrong. I'm happy to see this
work, but I think we don't have the power in the Zope3 community
right now for this migration.

But, perhaps this migration is become more interesting for other
developers, where will hopfully participate the development.

Regards
Roger Ineichen