[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 18 12:37:51 EST 2005

alan runyan wrote:
>>I understand.  Unfortunately, there's work that has to be done by
>>me before 2.8 can be released and I won't be able to get it done
>>till mid April at this soonest.
>

> As far I understood the work that you need to do is ZClass work - correct?

That's mostly done.  At this point, I need to:

- Finish some ZClass-related details

- Add GC support to Acquisition wrappers and a few other classes.

- Do something to support obsolete BTrees.  This was unexpected
   and is going to be a significant effort.

> If that is not a feature but a "bug" fix - is it possible to have a
> 2.8 release w/o the ZClass work and its disclaimed that ZClasses *do not*
> work in 2.8 and are to be fixed in 2.8.1?  IIRC - this happened in previous
> versions of Zope 2.x line where ZClasses were broken for short periods.

I don't think this would be acceptable.  I don't know of any case
where we intentionally made feature releases where major features were
known to be broken.  In any case, my biggest problem at this point isn't
ZClasses, it's obsolete BTrees and my lack of time.

>>OK, so maybe 2.8 should not include Zope 3 at all and aim for  2.9
>>in the same timeframe as X3.1.  I doubt this makes much difference because
>>2.8 is not yet ready to go out.
>

> This is a disconnect.  As far as the guys here are concerned they
> really do believe Zope 2.8 is ready to go out.

They are mistaken.

 > All the tests pass

Hah, Hah, ha ha ha.

Sorry, this is Zope 2. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

All of the tests passed back when I updated extension class, but
lots of things were still broken.

>>BTW, I'll note that the largest remaining task of mine for Zope 2.8
>>will be figuring out what the heck to do about the fact that Archetypes
>>apparently uses the ancient long-deprecated old BTrees modules.
>>Unfortunately,
>>it's hard for people to know that they were deprecated.
>

> Couldnt this be fixed in 2.8.1 when people start complaining?

OK with me.

Cool. I won't worry about Archetypes. ;)

>>I have said over and over and *over* again that I want faster release
>>cycles too.
>>
>>Having to support *two* versions of Zope 3 will add significantly to the
>>Zope 3 development effort.  This will have the effect of slowing down
>>Zope 3 releases, as we will effectively be making more of them.
>

> Is this a red herring?  I would imagine most of the questions asked
> would not revolve around Zope 3X.0 shortcomings, but general Zope 3X
> questions.

No.  I don't think this is right. There are also deprecation issues.

Brian's pronouncement makes this moot.  2.8 will include X3.0
and we won't try to support it or let it effect Zope 3's deprecation
schedule.