[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Sat Mar 19 11:43:02 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Brian Sutherland wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:07:50AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> subsequent releases.  I had previously suggested every 3 months,
>>> but I think that's too agressive.  I think 4 months, or even 6 months
>>> would be better. But, in any case, I am absolutely committed to
>>> a regular release cycle, starting with 2.9 and X3.2.
>>
>> If you do decide on using a 6 month release cycle, you might want to
>> think about synchronizing with the other open source projects around
>> that also use a 6 monthly timed release cycle. Ubuntu Linux, for
>> example, might be particularly interesting as it is directly downstream
>> of Zope3.
>>
> Good point.

A 6 month cycle would work for me on the longer term. The reason why I'd
prefer a quicker cycle in the early stages in Zope 3 is because there
needs to be a lot of interaction between active Zope 3 projects and the
Zope 3 core itself in the early stages. I think this is necessary for
the Zope 3 core to mature. Shortening the feedback cycle would hopefully
result in more feedback and contributions.

Because of the rigorous quality standards of Zope 3, I think this
shouldn't cause too much release overhead, as hopefully there is less
time needed for stabilization.

Then again, 3 or 4 months may however not be realistic at this stage;
it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem. But if there's any time
releases should go more quickly, it's in the early stages of uptake in
production, when there's still room for more flexibility and where
feedback can still have a relatively large impact. The problem is that
the resources to do so may not be available at this stage; I also think
regular, fairly frequent releases are a good way to *gain* resources
(but never enough to keep up with our ambitions :)

Regards,

Martijn