[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope X3.1 Feature Freeze

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Mar 23 04:35:35 EST 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Martijn Faassen]
>
>>It's integrated on a branch indeed (as an svn:external to a Zope X3
>>'zope' package), and it should be easy enough to merge it into the
>>trunk. I think the plan is that Andreas will do this Quite Soon Now (but
>>I can do it as well if that's preferred).
>
> I hope people talk to Jim here, since he's also been working on
> integrating some basic Zope3 packages on his ZClasses branch.

I talked to Jim about this last week when we were doing that work.

> I'm
> sure the packages Jim has in mind are sufficient for what ZODB 3.4
> uses; can't know about the packages you have in mind without trying
> them.  The ZODB SVN trunk currently has copies of Zope3 trunk's
> zope.interfaces and zope.testing stitched into it, and that's all it
> uses from Zope3.

Since that branch includes the entire 'zope' package of Zope X3.0, that
should be sufficient for ZODB, unless ZODB needs newer versions of these
packages than are in Zope X3.0. If if the latter is the case, that
wouldn't be a disaster as I expect Zope X3.0 code still runs on them.

>>I hope a ZODB 3.4-something release can be made relatively quickly..
>>Somewhere in april, if only an alpha?
>
> I think that depends on the nature of the Zope 2.8 release.  If it's
> an alpha release of 2.8, then some open ZODB-related issues (like
> ZClasses rehabilitation) don't have to be resolved for it, and I
> should be able to get a suitable 3.4 base into Zope trunk the week
> after PyCon (so no later than April 1) -- and assuming the zope
> package issues are resolved before then.

Great!

I think just not stitching in zope.interface and zope.testing might do
the trick, when you stitch in ZODB 3.4, assuming the branch with the
zope 3 external has been merged.

> If it's a beta release, then I _expect_ (but it's really the release
> manager's call) that essentially all substantial issues have to be
> resolved first (including ZClasses rehabilitation -- which currently
> isn't on my plate, and I can't give a time estimate for it).

Aiming for an alpha is fine with me.

Regards,

Martijn