[Zope3-dev] HEADS UP: PAU (pluggable authentication) users

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Tue Mar 29 18:37:30 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> So you wouldn't expect to ever migrate the use of IAuthentication in
>> cases where logout wasn't needed?
>
> I'd be happy to do this eventually, but we'd need to give people
> warning and a way to migrate.  I don't want to make it impossible for
> X3.0 users to upgrade.
>
>> If there is a downside to this (not sure there is), it would be
>> confusion about when to use which interface.
>
> Yes, which is why it might be best to migrate eventually.

This is what I meant by BBB's turning into TODOs. We're really talking
about deferring a change for a while for the sake of backward
compability.

>>> Yup.
>>

>> So you're your leaning toward IAuthentication2 used in cases when we
>> only need logout?
>
> I'm not really sure.
>
> Probably the best thing to do is to update pluggableauth to use
> IAuthentication2 and hope for the best.  This should take care of
> existing X3.0 installations.
>
> The other problem is 3rd-party tests that create dummy auth utilities.
>
> Hopefully, there aren't many of those (except in my code :).

I have some of these myself. The bugtracker had some.

I'd feel a little guilty about the "keep your fingers crossed" approach
:). If the interface evolution pattern needs to be repeatable, we should
probably get it off on the right foot.

I wonder if it's really a problem if we never upgrade to
IAuthentication2 unless a particular API is needed. It might actually be
less confusing to not have '2' showing up everywhere. Only people who
care need to deal with it.

 -- Garrett