[Zope3-dev] Re: lxml / elementtre inclusion

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri May 6 14:50:59 EDT 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>>> If someone that is not interested in Zope 3 in the first place wrote
>>> a Python library we'd like to include, the relicensing hurdle will be
>>> larger, though. What's to be done with Twisted integration, for
>>> instance?
>>>
>>> Relying on new external libraries with the core of Zope 3 will always
>>> be a big step. Then again, I also think that this way large amount of
>>> new features can be made available to Zope 3 without us having to
>>> reinvent wheels. It makes Zope 3 a more open platform. Perhaps the
>>> procedure for adopting externally written code should be spelled out.
>>> There are quite a few shapes this could take (external library,
>>> included in Zope 3 tree), and right now it seems nobody but Jim knows
>>> what is required, or whether such inclusion is allowable at all in
>>> the first place.
>>

>> We can and often do include 3rd-party non-ZPL software.  So it is
>> certainly
>> possible.
>>
>> Currently, I'd prefer that ZC employees check such 3rd-party code in.
>> The current system isn't great, but I can't think of a better one.
>

> The question is whether we always need to check it into our svn. pytz,
> for example, is a separate package that we just had to make ZPL and
> check it in, instead of simply just bundling it loosely. I expect this
> sort of thing will sooner or later get us into trouble with package
> maintainers that need to maintain (e.g. Debian) packages for both pytz
> and Zope and thus will inevitably run into conflicts.

Right. Someday, we need to find a way to treat these separate parts
as separately installed packages.

> With twisted, we have at least found a sensible approach using
> svn:externals.

This isn't sensible at all.  If the twisted svn repository was down,
it would have the effect of making it impossible for us to get a
clean checkout.  I don't like externals, but I can live with them
within the same repository.  I don't want to see externals to external
repositories on a Zope trunk or release branch.  Eventually, we'll
need to make a vendor import of twisted.  We might want to more formally
follow the vendor-import model for things like pytz, docutils, lxml,
and the like.