[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3 / ECM] : Project launched !

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue May 17 08:54:01 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 08:43, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
> > Maik Röder wrote:
> >>Before endorsing the project I just need to be sure that there is
> >>a healthy community.
> >
> > catch-22 :-)  to have a healthy community you need a project that is not
> > just vapourware and more than just people with good intentions who'll
> > wait until others do something. You need commitment from all parts.
>
> It's indeed a chicken and egg situation; healthy communities give people
> enough trust to do a commitment and commitment from people and
> organizations tends to build healthy communities.

I think the easiest way to earn trust is for the initiators to reach beyond
their comfort level by looking at competing projects. I know that this is
hard, since one is always convinced that his/her project is the best one. (I
feel the same way. ;-) To be more concrete, I think a good first step would
be to create a matrix of features in various Zope-based CMSs. This might also
demonstrate the parts the community wants to work on first.

Oh, I almost forgot. Even though I have said this many times before, please
have a look at Tiks. It is a Zope 3 based CMS that is already in production.
It might not be what you want, but I am pretty sure it has solved some tricky
problems already. It also follows all the Zope 3 coding guidelines (as far as
I can tell), including doctests.

Regards,
Stephan
--