[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3 / ECM] : Project launched !

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue May 17 11:11:16 EDT 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 May 2005 08:43, Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
>>It's indeed a chicken and egg situation; healthy communities give people
>>enough trust to do a commitment and commitment from people and
>>organizations tends to build healthy communities.
>
> I think the easiest way to earn trust is for the initiators to reach beyond
> their comfort level by looking at competing projects.  I know that this is
> hard, since one is always convinced that his/her project is the best one. (I
> feel the same way. ;-)

This is a very good point. I want to especially look at this in terms of
subcomponents, and reuse existing components written in Python if at all
possible, instead of redoing them in particular for Zope 3 or the Zope 3
ECM project.

> To be more concrete, I think a good first step would
> be to create a matrix of features in various Zope-based CMSs. This might also
> demonstrate the parts the community wants to work on first.

Feature matrixes are somewhat artificial though. To avoid having to come
up with our own list of features we may want to check out some existing
ones such as the one maintained by OSCOM.

> Oh, I almost forgot. Even though I have said this many times before, please
> have a look at Tiks. It is a Zope 3 based CMS that is already in production.
> It might not be what you want, but I am pretty sure it has solved some tricky
> problems already. It also follows all the Zope 3 coding guidelines (as far as
> I can tell), including doctests.

Cool, I'll take a look at that.

Regards,

Martijn