[Z3lab] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3 / ECM] : Project launched !

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue May 17 11:32:47 EDT 2005

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:

> Can someone please explain tome the rationale concerning the
> near-anymosity and suspicion this endeavour arises?
>
> Is it all about NotInventedHere(tm) or are there deeper issues behind
> this? Perhaps economical reasons?
>
> I must say that I am very surprised by the amount of time and energy
> spent on discussing this...

I have some theories. I think for a project of this magnitude with so
many vested interests in the Zope world, you see people being more vocal
than for a smaller open source project. I am not sure how one could've
expected otherwise -- we saw the same, especially in the beginning, for
Zope 3. I think however that the issue of a perceived-to-be neutral
playing field is important for most open source projects, great or small.

Infrae has tried to start quite a few community-driven projects in the
past. We've often tried hosting them infrae.com (web, cvs, mailing list,
etc). So far we've seen two scenarios:

*  Sometimes nobody takes up on them at all.

* For some projects, such as Formulator (which has a very long history)
   and Silva we get some contributions, quite a few quite valuable, but
   the community remains quite Infrae centered.

More recently, for a few projects we were involved in starting, such as
Kupu and Five, we hosted them on codespeak instead. Those turned into
vibrant communities with many parties involved.

Of course, not all of the stuff we hosted on codespeak.net took off like
that (yet :). In addition, the nature of the project goals and codebase
itself strongly influences whether a community will form or not. But,
while many other factors are in play, I do believe that if the playing
field for Five or Kupu had not seemed equal (if we'd hosted them at
infrae.com and presented them as Infrae projects), they wouldn't be the
community driven open source projects they are today.

So, I suspect that when encountering a project, many people let their
decision to contribute be based on first impressions that have to do
with openness and neutrality, beyond just the presence of an open source
license. If it's all run by Infrae, let's just wait for Infrae. It's
harder to make an impact by contributing, and Infrae may decide
otherwise anyway. If it's run by a community, it feels more open, and it
depends more on the individuals involved to make it go forward.

Right now you see people speak up as more is at stake than usual, but I
think this process of evaluation is in fact always taking place at some
level, for many people.

Regards,

Martijn