[Zope3-dev] i18n file bug ? Related to issue 302 ??

Stéphane Brunet stbru at teksavvy.com
Fri May 27 15:59:30 EDT 2005

Hi,

I was just playing around with a freshly checked-out Zope3(trunk) and
tried the" i18n file" product.

 * I added a new language "fr" (which is my language settings on my
computer)
 * In the edit form, I changed the text for this language to "Français"
(notice the non-ASCII "ç").
 * When I submitted the changes, I had a system error. The traceback is
: as follow :
-----Begin traceback-----

Traceback (innermost last):
  Module zope.publisher.publish, line 138, in publish
    result = publication.callObject(request, object)
  Module zope.app.publication.zopepublication, line 164, in callObject
    return mapply(ob, request.getPositionalArguments(), request)
  Module zope.publisher.publish, line 113, in mapply
    return debug_call(object, args)
   - __traceback_info__: <security proxied zope.app.pagetemplate.simpleviewclass.SimpleViewClass from /home/stephane/zope3-work/src/zope/app/i18nfile/browser/file_edit.pt instance at 0x42a4558c>
  Module zope.publisher.publish, line 119, in debug_call
    return object(*args)
  Module zope.app.pagetemplate.simpleviewclass, line 44, in __call__
    return self.index(*args, **kw)
  Module zope.app.pagetemplate.viewpagetemplatefile, line 83, in __call__
    return self.im_func(im_self, *args, **kw)
  Module zope.app.pagetemplate.viewpagetemplatefile, line 51, in __call__
    sourceAnnotations=getattr(debug_flags, 'sourceAnnotations', 0),
  Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 118, in pt_render
    return output.getvalue()
  Module StringIO, line 203, in getvalue
    self.buf += ''.join(self.buflist)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 4: ordinal not in range(128)

-----End traceback-----

However, when I display the i18n file, it is correctly rendered as
"Français" with the "c cédille" (ç)...

Should I file this bug in the Collector ?

Is it related to the issue 302 (i.e. File objects can't contain
non-ascii characters) ?

Stéphane