[Zope3-dev] Re: Overlapping Products

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue May 31 06:20:27 EDT 2005

Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Zope 2 has the nice ability to allow you to override Products.
> For example, I just found a bug in ZCTextIndex which will need fixing,
> so between now and 2.7.7, I can just run with a patched ZCTextIndex
> product in my instance home without having to worry about whether the
> base code is patched or not on a cluster of machines.
>
> How will this work in Zope 3, particularly w.r.t. ZODB persistence of
> classes which I might want to override in this way?

First of all, we don't call it "products" anymore, because "products"
are those strange things that look like a Python Package, seem to live
in a super package (Products) but really don't.

In Zope 3 we simply talk about Python packages. And that change in
terminology reflects also everything about how they are handled: like
Python packages. So, the version of a package wins that is first found
in your PYTHONPATH. It's that easy.

Philipp