[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope3/branches/roger-bostonskin2/src/zope/app/boston/ Cleanup and some restructuring:

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Nov 2 03:51:59 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> Log message for revision 39800:
>   Cleanup and some restructuring:
>
>   - Converted TAB characters to spaces.
>
>   - Switched from DOS line endings to Unix ones.

This was quite unnecessary, unfortunately. Setting the svn:eol-style
property to "native" on those files would have been enough. Then the
next checkout of the files would've resulted in native line endings on
whichever system you're checking out. Now with a manual change, we've
got a big diff without actually having changed the file, with all the
implications for svn annotate etc.

In fact, we *require* all text files (.py, .pt, .zcml, .txt) to have the
svn:eol-style property set to "native", so that Windows checkouts have
Windows line-endings and Unix checkouts have Unix line-endings. I
strongly suggest that everyone, in this case especially Roger and
Stephan, revise their subversion configuration to use auto-properties.
To enable them on Unix, make sure your ~/.subversion/conf file has the
following line enabled:

  enable-auto-props = yes

Then, add the [auto-props] configuration section to specify which
filenames should have which auto-properties. Mine looks like this:

[auto-props]
*.c = svn:eol-style=native
*.cpp = svn:eol-style=native
*.h = svn:eol-style=native
*.py = svn:eol-style=native
*.pt = svn:eol-style=native
*.zcml = svn:eol-style=native
*.html = svn:eol-style=native
*.xml = svn:eol-style=native
*.xsl = svn:eol-style=native
*.css = svn:eol-style=native
*.js = svn:eol-style=native
*.txt = svn:eol-style=native
Makefile = svn:eol-style=native

I have no idea what the deal is with a Windows-based subversion setup,
but it should be possible there as well.

I hope that a future version of svn will have repository-based
auto-props, so that this isn't a problem anymore when a user forgets to
set it.

Philipp