[Zope3-dev] i18n:translate and tal:content should not use template domain

Dmitry Vasiliev lists at hlabs.spb.ru
Wed Nov 9 05:13:58 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:

> IMO, if a template an element with both i18n:translate and tal:content
> and the value inserted is not a message id, the template's domain will
> be used.  This seems like a bad idea.  It can hide failures to provide
> message ids because everything ultimately gets a domain.  I'm working on
> tools to help people see when text hasn't been internationalized and the
> implicit use of of the template's domain makes these tools less useful.
>
> Basically, the domain given in the template source applies to the source
> only and shouldn't be used for data coming from elsewhere.
>
> I propose that we should never use the templates domain when inserting data
> via tal:content.  Note however, if the tal expression results in the use
> of the
> template's example text, the templates domain should be used.
>
> Thoughts?

Maybe we should translate *only* a message id values in case of i18n:translate
and tal:content/tal:replace and print a warning for any other values? Moreover
it's Zope-3.1 behavior. For Zope-3.2 there was a bug report at
http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope3-dev/455 partially fixed by me. Now I'm not
sure the fix was a good idea. Main disadvantage I see is that it leads to bad
i18n style for users.

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
     http://hlabs.spb.ru