[Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source coderepository

Dominik Huber dominik.huber at perse.ch
Thu Nov 24 06:33:26 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

>Really, I'm quite tired of trench wars like Zope 2 vs. Zope 3. Like Martijn said, we need
>to come together, not apart. I'm starting to get the feeling that some Zope 3 developers
>rather see Zope 2 die than embrace some of its experience and community.

At the moment Zope 2 depends from Zope 3. I'm fully aware that Zope 2 is
a major user of the technology now and actively want to evolve towards
Zope 3. So I'm aware that we have to cooperate some way. But I'm not
shure, if such a fully reunite is the right step.

It's possible to move *important and long term* packages from the Zope 2
to Zope 3 repository and support them at that place, because we already
have that dependency. But and that's my point, there is really no clue
bringing *everything* into Zope 3.

Total reunite is never a winning strategy because it increases
complexity of a system. IMO we already reached a critical level of
complexity within Zope 3. The winning strategy would be to select
important parts and push off the needless.

Such a partial reunite strategy was never intended to be a war Zope 2
vs. Zope 3. It's just a question of the personal resources.

Regards,
Dominik