[Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Dominik Huber dominik.huber at perse.ch
Thu Nov 24 07:04:43 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

>Stephan Richter wrote:
>

>>I will always vote -1 on such a move. I just simply punishes all those early
>>adopters of Zope 3 and throw it in their face. Great appreciation!
>>

>You know I can turn this around and say that by focusing all development on Zope 3, the
>Zope development team left Zope 2 out there to die in its old ways of doing things,
>despite the fact that some sort of transition capabilities were promised for a long time
>(maybe I needed to remind of you of this...). A rewrite from scratch is always easy, but
>dealing with the transition and deprecations is the hard work which is now left up to
>people who were early adopters of Zope *2* and hoping for that promised transition. Great
>appreciation!

Philipp, I can't take that answer for bare, you are supporting the
hick-hack too. Both parts had the opportunity to choose their strategies
(Marketing/Business/Short term versus Technology/Long term). All
strategies have cons and pros:

1. The spliting of the zope-community started when different frameworks
like Plone, Silva etc. were pushed. We could observe in Switzerland two
parties: the 'framework' developers and other zope developers. The
latter regonized that all those frameworks can never be frameworks for a
broad adoption in different fields and therefore they will never be a
satisfying technical solution for envolving (long run) business domains.

2. At that time some people started to support Zope 3, because they
recognized the true potential of  Zope 3 and they assessed that only
Zope 3 is able to hold the technological long term assurance and is able
to hold the community together on a fundamental framework layer (Sharing
packages and code). Some decided to go this 'idealistic' way and it was
a trip through the desert (and the others had a nice time to make
business ;)

3. This year we wanted to re-embrace the Zope-Community in Switzerland
introducing the new technology (One of our idealistic targets).
Therefore we organized 9 Zope 3-Mini-Sprints to close the gap between
Zope 2 and Zope 3 developers. But - and that is an empiric fact and not
an assumption - most of the established Zope 2 developers gave a shit
about Zope 3: They never visited such a sprint or they stayed
consequently in their waiting position until Zope 3 is
finished/stable/usable. Most of the participants were customside
'framework' super users/developers that were interested in the new
technology, because they were kind of tired of the 'framework' marketing
fairy-tales.

4. Now the Zope 3 framework is stable and all people discover the fruits
on the tree...
Zope 3 dudes will enjoy their paradise, because they have a product that
fullfills the marketing fairy-tales much better. The others have to make
efforts to close up and fill the gap.

In the end the amount of work is constant even though there were
different ways (strategies). Are you physicist, aren't you? ;)

Regards,
Dominik