[Zope3-dev] Retaining ease of customisation

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Nov 24 07:08:32 EST 2005

Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>> my impression is that if you want TTW editing you'll have to do it on
>>> an application level using what's available in the framework
>>> (utilities, ZPT, ...) Zope3 allows you to do this already and in a
>>> much cleaner way than with zope2..
>>
>> That's great! How to make this work in the context of a Zope 2/CMF
>> setup, the one Martin is working in? Remember the legacy codebase
>> here; it's not an option to throw it out just like that.

> through Five I guess :-)

So what in Zope 3 lets you do a TTW modification of views right now?
Where should Martin start looking?

> I don't have the competence though or the exact
> vision on how to do it. What I'm doing though as a matter of philosophy
> is to stick as much as possible to standard Zope3 concepts (adapters,
> utilities, ZCML, event subscribers, views, ...), to make the backporting
> from zope3 to zope2 easier.

That's good. Of course Five is trying to port these concepts over to
Zope 2, but I myself wouldn't know how to build TTW modification of Five
views right now. What's the Zope 3 equivalent?

Note that I doubt Martin can buy into all of CPSSkins anytime soon.
They're looking into porting CMF-style skins into Zope 3-style views
using Five. He's worried that the ability for TTW modification of views
will be gone when Zope 3 style views are in use in Plone. So, something
is needed in Zope 3 with at least equivalent power to TTW CMF skin
customization to Zope 2, without having to rewrite all of the Plone
skins in anything more than a fairly mechanical way. Evolution is the
keyword here; a revolution is not affordable.

Regards,

Martijn