[Zope3-dev] Introspection in zope.testbrowser

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 04:32:03 EST 2005

Hi Benji,

Benji York wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Log message for revision 40363:
>>   Add some docs for using underlying mechanize functionality to do
>> introspection.
>
> I actually don't want to support any exposure of mechanize functionality
> in zope.testbrowser.  Mechanize is an implementation detail (although a
> very important one) and may change in the future.

I think the documentation I added makes this clear.

> We will probably be adding support for using XPath to do this type of
> inspection of the HTML in the future, but until then this change should
> be reverted.

How will XPath help me with that specific example?

I'm all for reverting that change when either:

- mechanize is replaced with something else

- testbrowser itself provides a way for doing decent introspection.

The other change I made is due to he fact that to meaningfully do file
uploading with testbrowser, you currently _have_ to reach inside and use
the underlying mechanize functionality, for the reasons I explained...

So, in short, yes I agree with you but please don't back anything out
until something better is available!

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk