[Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 inthe sourcecoderepository

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sat Nov 26 17:29:24 EST 2005

Hi Egon,

> Behalf Of Egon Frerich
> > And please stop telling that there will be a migration path
> > for somthing. I guess there will never be such a path. Perhaps
> > custom products can be rewriten based on Zope3 libraries, but a real
> > migration path like known from other software will never be
> supported.
>
> [snip]
>
> But in the beginning of Zope3 there were strong commitments:

Yes, and this official statement from ZC (Jim) get never updated ;-)

[...]
>  > will Plone
> > work.
>
> Yes.

I don't think somebody whould say that again today ;-)
I guess this was Paul.

> > 5) Will ZC participate in the ongoing development of Zope 2 and CMF,
> > keeping it "active" with (reasonably compelling) features
> until the time
> > Zope 3 is capable of doing all that Zope 2 + CMF can do?
>
> Yes.

I now all this nice mails, that was the reason why I wrote about
to stop propagate to get a migration path for Zope2 projects.

As dominik already said, we organized 9 Zope3 sprints here in switzerland
this year and there we get asked everytime "when is this migration
possible".

Belive me, people where not involved in active development and reading
mailinglists are waiting for a Zope2 compatible Zope3 version.
Especialy customer where developed Zope2 projects two or three
years ago and don't have activ contacts to the developers.

It whould be nice to update this statement and give the people
a new vision for their applications. And post it prominent at
the www.zope.org site.

Regards
Roger Ineichen