[Zope3-dev] Confusion re Site Management Objects

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Mon Nov 28 00:53:35 EST 2005

Just digging into Zope 3 after years with Zope 2, I'm having trouble
understanding the concept of 'site-management folders'.  I've got both of the
Zope 3 books here, but am finding that this area of Zope 3 (I'm running Zope
3.1) has changed from the time of the book writings.

My objective is to play with PsycopgDA, but the usage docs that come with
PsycopgDA refer to obsolete/missing Zope 3 stuff re how to create a
connector.

Let me walk thru some of my confusion.

In the root folder I click on 'Manage Site', which takes me into some kind of
special folder, presumably a site mgmt folder although the presence of a
'Site Management' tab leads me to wonder if I'm not there yet.

What are the two folders here, named 'default' and 'tools'?  And why does the
'Visit default folder' link take me to the same place as clicking on the
'default' folder itself?  One of the books say 'Tools folder let you manage
tools.' ;-)

It's not clear whether to create my DB connector under 'default' or 'tools' so
I guessed and picked 'default'.

A key part I'm confused about is that when creating the connector, I gave it a
name like 'dbfinance', but later I need to register it, giving it another
name.  Why two names, and when is the first name ever used?  The second name
(registration name) is what appears in the drop-down 'Known Connectors'
vocabulary.  I guess I don't understand utility registration.  I'm used to
the Zope 2 approach of dropping DB connectors in the acquisition path.

After registration, I can use the connector, but I'm puzzled re access
permissions.  If my connector permissions is 'zope.public', for general SQL
access throughout the site architecture, does that mean there is a way for
anonymous website visitors to invoke arbitrary SQL operations?  Does Zope 3
support the Zope 2 idea of priviledged proxies, where an intermediate has
more privilege than the user visiting the site?

One of very useful features of Zope 2 was balloon text that popped up when you
hovered over component icons within the ZMI, which told you the type of
component.  Adding that would help disambiguate the various types of folders,
most of which have the same icon.

Also interesting, reported as bug #494, is that you can't ever remove
registered utilities via the ZMI, even when they are deactivated.  You get a
msg about needing to deactivate them first. ;-)

-Jeff