[Zope3-dev] Exporting and importing specific objects/folders

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Oct 7 10:22:53 EDT 2005

Garrett Smith wrote:
> I have a backup requirement to save a folder (a site) and be able to
> restore it without effecting other sites on a server.
>
> I looked briefly at Zope3's fssync but I'm not sure if it's current,

I don't know if it's current.  It is largely independent of Zope so it should
still work.

 > or
> exactly how it could be used for this.
>
> Any recommendations?

Sigh.  I wish someone had time to work on this.

It currently has a web-based interface that allows objects
to be checked out and checked in, with semantics much like
a version control system.  We aren't using it because it lacks
an adequate security model to support web-based access.

FWIW, here are some thoughts of where I'd like to see this go:

- I'd like to see 2 different types of interface:

   o A web based interface like we have now except that you should
     only be able to check out or in if the object being checked out
     or checked in has a fssyn adapter (other than the default) and
     if the user has the necessary permissions.

   o A command-line tool that opens the database directly. This tool
     would not go through the security system at all and would be able
     to use the default (xml-pickle-based) adapter.

- (at least) Two modes should be supported.

   o checkout/checkin

     When objects are checked out, we make 2 copies (as svn does).
     This allows us to track and merge changes made in zope or
     on the file system.

   o export/import

     Here the goal is tranfering things.  We don't make 2 copies.