[Zope3-dev] zope3.org terminology

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Oct 11 12:38:10 EDT 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 08:57, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>As goals for the site, at least the top level of it, I'd suggest
>>marketing, and developer marketing primarily. We need to put across that
>>Zope 3 is powerful, cool, easy, extensible, and built on the vast amount
>>of experience with web application development that we have as the Zope
>>community.
>>
>>Developer marketing also means that we need to demonstrate all the
>>things Zope 3 can do for you, i.e. features.
>
> The primary first goal was a collaboration site for us. But I think the goals
> you listed here should be considered as well.

[snip]

>>Anyway, I'm volunteering to help out with the text and basic
>>organization of this site.
>
> Great! We have no thought much about structure at all, so if we could start
> another thread discussing it, that would be great! I personally have no
> preference. For me the current layout of the Zope 3 developer wiki is 95% to
> what I want. :-)

Okay, there's some confusion about this, and I should've read to this
point in the thread before I started replying... I much more interested
in Zope 3 (developer-level) marketing than in improving the Zope 3
developer's wiki, and think anything called 'zope3.org' should better
have a good top-level set of pages that appeals to a broader audience
than Zope 3 core developers.

So let's not call the Zope 3 developers wiki 'zope3.org', as this is
rather confusing...

Let's separate some concepts here:

* Zope 3 site: the new Zope 3 website with Zope 3 specific information.
This could be hosted under zope3.org but is not a requirement.

* dev wiki NG: New Zope 3 developer's wiki. This will be hosted under
the Zope 3 site, though I'd recommend strongly against hosting it under
zope3.org toplevel as that'd be bad marketing.

* Zope 3 information integrated into zope.org. Probably done on a
superficial level as it's rather a beast. If Zope 3 site becomes good
enough we may turn around and integrate Zope 2 information *there* instead.

* Wikification: software to run dev wiki NG but not only that: also to
run parts of the Zope 3 website. The idea is we try to use a wiki to run
the Zope 3 site, so the wiki software is broader in scop than just for
the dev wiki.

What happened at the sprint was mostly work on Wikification and dev wiki
NG. It was *called* zope3.org but we'll now hopefully consider this a
misnomer. :)

Regards,

Martijn