[Zope3-dev] Why I posted about Zope3.org (the outsider's thoughts that got me thinking)

Julien Anguenot ja at nuxeo.com
Tue Oct 11 13:48:06 EDT 2005

Jeff Shell wrote:
> I wanted to post something here last night about these conversations
> I've been having in email with Ben Bangert, whose has the weblog
> http://www.groovie.org/ and has written tools like Routes
> http://routes.groovie.org/ - a tool for people who don't have the
> benefit of nice zope.publisher style URLs to make (and regenerate)
> nice URLs :)
>
> These are some comments he made specifically about finding Zope 3
> information. They may seem a bit crude, but he seems genuinely
> frustrated. Now - I'll add that I'm impressed with tools like apidoc,
> the books, and all of that, but if you compare the Zope 3 wiki front
> page with that of http://www.rubyonrails.com/ and
> http://www.turbogears.org/ you'll see that there's a big difference.
> And you know that I personally have a big distaste for Wikis. Someone
> (I can't remember who) said recently that a good problem with Wikis is
> that it's hard to grok the relevance of a certain page - does it still
> apply to current thinking? There are a lot of historical artifacts in
> the Zope 3 development wiki. And I'm not saying that we should get rid
> of them, but it's just hard to know that PageA is a hypothetical
> dreamland item from three years ago and PageB right next to it is
> valid information and documentation for Zope 3.1. Anyways, I'll stop
> grand-standing on that and share Ben's thoughts. Well, after also
> saying that I know that we're all busy developers with real jobs,
> consultant gigs, research work, education, sprints, and so on, so I'm
> not volunteering myself nor expecting anyone else to take up the lead.
> But it would be great if someone did ;), and Bottlerocket may be able
> to help... when our current rush of jobs settles... (sigh).
>
> Alright. Ben's statements:
>
> """
> The documentation on the Zope site....ugh. That alone has driven me
> nuts more than I can remember. The docs are horrible, frequently
> outdated, only occasionally actually work, scattered around the site
> with little organization. The site navigation is absolutely horrible,
> things rarely indicate where you are, how you got there, whats next,
> etc. While I can see the little nav thing at the top, I'm referring
> more to the left sidebar that never indicates you are in that section.
> """
> - A good example of why Zope3.org should be its own site.
>
> """
> Zope 3 hardly looks ready for anyone to use if you actually go to the
> website. It's slotted in under the Zope Corp page, and has the
> appearance of a science school project. It really deserves its own
> site devoted to it without all the extra navigation and confusing
> headers leading all over. Zope 3.1 needs a colorful, enticing,
> approaching site with excellent documentation that actually works and
> is maintained.
> """
> [...]

You're absolutely right about the fact that Zope.org is missing a lot of
hype compared to the other projects you mentionned. I don't like wikis
neither myself... It's really hard to find information and to know
what's up2date or not and the visual is amazingly crap. Zope3 is really
a well documented project in itself. The only problem is the way the
information are provided to the people.

Let's wish that Zope.org (or Zope3.org) will provide a decent home that
the Zope3 project deserves.

Cheers,

	J.

P.S : Thanks for your nice comments about z3lab.org. We are at the
beginning ot the project so be sure we'll improve lots of things in the
future. Lots of things remain to be done on this portal.

- --
Julien Anguenot | Nuxeo R&D (Paris, France)
CPS Platform : http://www.cps-project.org
Zope3 / ECM   : http://www.z3lab.org
mail: anguenot at nuxeo.com; tel: +33 (0) 6 72 57 57 66