[Zope3-dev] fssync and export/import for Zope 3

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Oct 11 15:52:53 EDT 2005

Andreas Jung said:
> Export/import is likely much more important than being able to edit
> content  on the filesystem. Writing simple mechanisms for
> exporting/importing  schema-based content to XML/from XML should not be
> so hard.

Yeah. And sometimes XML just gets in the way - namely, when you are
dealing with blobs.
The issue of human-readable exported data is orthogonal to the issue of
backing up or transporting your data. Certainly worthwhile, but
don't underestimate the value of plain old pickles.

I don't know if anybody actually uses the XML option for exporting /
importing Zope 2 data - I always use the default pickle format.
It works fine and is more efficient.

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com