[Zope3-dev] Debugging Zope

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Oct 12 10:00:17 EDT 2005

Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
> what tools do you use for debugging your Zope applications and/or the Zope
> source?
 >
 > Is there something more comforable (more graphical) than pdb
 > available? I've tried eric3 but it does not work,

There are a number of debuggers available for Python. Graphical debuggers
include Wing and Kimodo.  Zope doesn't require anything special.

pdb interacts with emacs in a way that makes emacs almost graphical. :)
As I step through code, emacs displays it and highlights the line being
executed.

> probably due to Zope3 spawning processes.

As a rule, you should try to avoid debugging Zope as an app server.
You want to find and debug modt problems in tests, which are much easier
to debug than a server.