[Zope3-dev] Zope 3.1

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Thu Oct 13 18:31:41 EDT 2005

Hi

[...]
> Bolotov,
>
> Zope 3.1 is definitely ready for production use.
> Zope-3.1.0-win32-py2.4.exe
> is a Windows executable.  Just double click and install.
>
> When you have installed the Zope you need to go to
> c:\Python24\Scripts and
> run the mkzopeinstance.bat.  Specify an install path to your
> zope instance,
> username, and password.  Now go to [instance]/bin and run
> runzope.bat.  Zope
> will be accessible at http://localhost:8080.

I think we should change this installation process in the
future for windows.

[...]
> Hi zope3-dev,
>
> I really frustrated about Zope 3.1
> Is "Zope 3.1 is more than ready for production use" ?
>
> Did you try to install
> Zope-3.1.0.win32-py2.4.exe on Windows XP ?
> the zope run script is for Linux and even if
> you manage to run Zope 3.1, it doesn't work
>
> in README.txt
> Creating a Zope instance home
> doesn't need -u or -d parameters
>
> and
> Starting Zope
> -------------
>
> XXX to be written
>
> Pavel.

I agree with you.

The Zope 3 application server is stable and ready for procuction.
But the Zope3 windows installer isn't.

We really have to improve the installation process and offer
also a built in service manager where you can start and stop
the server in the future. Also the missing program group isn't
nice. You really can get lost and won't find the installation source
after you installed Zope3 for run the mkzopeinstance.
Because most people don't realize that the zope 3 source get installed
to the python location.

Regards
Roger Ineichen

Projekt01 GmbH