[Zope3-dev] Changes to zope3 windows binary installer

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 05:41:29 EDT 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> -1 on the last suggestion <0.1 wink>.  I build the Zope3 Windows
> installer because nobody else will do it (and if you disagree with
> that statement, _you_ build it from now on ;-)).

If someone can give me instructions assuming I'm starting from
I-am-stupid-and-also-have-no-c-compilers-but-do-have-windows state, I'd
like to try and help :-)

Any chance of us using hte build bot to build binary releases?

> I wasn't involved in
> creating it, and I don't even know how it works, beyond that it's a
> vanilla distutils-based installer.  The text I put on:
>
>     http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ZopeWindowsRelease
>
> came from trial-and-error reverse-engineering, not from an intimate
> understanding of the Zope3-on-Windows vision.

Hmmm, is this what I'm asking for above?

> auto-install of Windows Services.  The only hope for stuff like that
> is for someone to write MS-specific code to run from a
> post-installation script (which script distutils will run for you, if
> it's set up right) -- or move back to a wholly separate
> Windows-specific installer process (as Zope2 uses).

Could Mark Hammond be tickled ot help here?

> The latter is
> high maintenance, and given how few "Windows people" contribute to
> Zope, unlikely to happen.  The crushing advantage of a distutils-based
> installer is that some other project (namely, the Python project) does
> the hard work.

How does Python build its Windows installer? It seems nice enough :-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk