[Zope3-dev] RFC: Content Providers and Viewlets

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Mon Oct 17 11:34:50 EDT 2005

On Oct 17, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Dominik Huber wrote:
> IMO it is very important to provide a standardized way to handle
> complex, formbased views properly (-> prefix like nested widgets)

Agreed.  FWIW, this is another part of the subview package.  I tried
to spell this out very explicitly.  If contentproviders agreed on the
subview interfaces, or something like them, then we would have a
lower level agreement for all of the page component technologies out
there.

> and to sketch the difference between widgets and viewlets out.

The zope.widget package in the branch is currently in disrepair, but
the intent is for widgets to be subviews.  The subview package
actually grew out of the widget work.  This won't be ready for 3.2.

I personally don't think that I want default widget look-up to
require (context, request, view), as opposed to the current (context,
request), so I'd be in favor of widget interfaces extending the
subview interfaces, not the contentprovider interface.  If for some
reason someone wanted a widget system with lookups based on
contentprovider then that could be an additional layer, still using
all of the (context, request)-based code.

Gary