[Zope3-dev] RFC: Content Providers and Viewlets

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Mon Oct 17 12:17:44 EDT 2005

On Oct 17, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Saturday 15 October 2005 15:48, Gary Poster wrote:
>
>> I also really wish we could agree on a subview-addressing story (for
>> AJAX) and a drag-and-drop story.  We have experience with our drag
>> and drop story, and are proposing a new AJAX story for subviews.  The
>> subview package only sets up some small foundations so that these can
>> work.
>>

> This is the reason we have not fully explored implementing portlets
> yet. I
> think those type of features are only interesting in very dynamic,
> CMS-like
> applications. For example, currently I do not need any of this for
> SchoolTool.

Understood; as mentioned, the subview package offers an underlying
agreement, which is important for interoperability.  It shouldn't
require SchoolTool to do much of anything except perhaps the subview
container interface...  I'll think about that some more.

>> The persistence use cases are real and important, and I'd like to
>> agree on them, but
>> - we're still having internal discussions about the right way to
>> do it,
>> - it's intended to be an optional part of the subview
>> capabilities, and
>> - it doesn't appear to be pertinent to the viewlet or contentprovider
>> approaches.
>
> I really think that sub-views need to be adapters and their state
> should be
> stored using a well-defined API. More than that I cannot say,
> because I have
> not thought about it. :-)

Jim agrees with your assertion, to my knowledge.  I am on the fence.
Benji disgrees, last I checked.  I have certain goals, which I hope
to talk through with Jim and also offer up here on the list when I
get to it.

Gary