[Zope3-dev] Re: XML header and TAL interpretor

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 1 11:56:59 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 04:20:08PM +0200, Tonico Strasser wrote:
| Philipp von Weitershausen schrieb:
| >Tonico Strasser wrote:

[...]

| >The point of all this is that text/xml just isn't enough. It's a good
| >fallback, but it's not enough, especially including serving HTML. From
| >that I conclude that the "should" in your sentence above is wrong.
|
| And to which media type should ZPTs in XML mode default to?

The ZPT processor/renderer shouldn't dictate this as it is clear that
ZPTs can be used to create a wide variety of types of content.

I think the content-type sent to the browser should be controlled by
the <browser:page> directive.  The HTTP content-type is really part of
the browser interaction and not necessarily part of the template
processing.  <browser:page> could default to text/html or text/xml or
whatever people decide is the most commonly desired type and include
an attribute to override it.

Hypothetically speaking, because I don't have any relevant experience
to support this, a different type of view may want to use the same ZPT
with a different content-type.  Maybe the XML-RPC or WebDAV publishers
have different constraints and want to send application/xhtml+xml for
a given template while the browser publisher must degrade it to
text/html for IE.

-D

--
If you want to know what God thinks about money,
just look at the people He gives it to.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org