[Zope3-dev] Re: z3 webserver bug?

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Mon Sep 5 14:49:39 EDT 2005

Roger Ineichen wrote:
> Why does the z3 server parse this cookie and end in a
> CookieError?
>
> This happens useing ie 6.0 explorer.

[..]

>   File "C:\Python24\lib\Cookie.py", line 453, in set
>     raise CookieError("Illegal key value: %s" % key)
> CookieError: Illegal key value: Williams/OU

Because the cookie key contains an illegal character. See Cookie.py line
251 for the legal characters allowed in a cookie key; the / is illegal;
that is, the cookie RFC doesn't allow slashes in key values. Allowable
characters are a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and any of the characters (without the

(I misnamed the applicable lines in your bug report, sorry).

As stated in collector item 450, I think Zope3 should log such cookie
errors in the log and otherwise pretend the cookie was never sent.

Martijn Pieters