[Zope3-dev] RFC: Rename "principal" to "participant"

Craeg Strong cstrong at arielpartners.com
Mon Sep 12 16:06:23 EDT 2005

It seems the word "Principal" is ubiquitous in security-related
software: see

Microsoft dot Net Principal [1]
java.security.Principal
Kerberos [2]
GSS API

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemsecurityprincipal.asp
[2]
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.4/krb5-1.4.2/doc/krb5-user/What-is-a-Kerberos-Principal-.html

There are lots of other examples of its use. Just do a google search for
"security principal"

I think we should be careful before departing from common terms for API
concepts lest we violate the
"principle of least surprise"  ;-)

--Craeg