[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: Rename "principal" to "participant"

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Sep 14 09:36:13 EDT 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
[snip]

>>I don't think systems should be built relying on being able to annotate
>>principals.  That sounds kind of implicit.  I'd rather see a first class
>>User concept.
>
> That was more the statement I was looking for. That, and a statement
> regarding the PrincipalAnnotation utility in particular...

I ended up creating a first class User object too. See also my note
about being able to access these in content space.

In my application the authentication service inspects the 'users' folder
in content space and exposes these as principals. It does something very
similar to groups.

In a scenario using LDAP things would be different again, though.

Regards,

Martijn