[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: Publication Post-Processing

Janko Hauser jhauser at zscout.de
Fri Sep 16 10:17:35 EDT 2005

Am 16.09.2005 um 15:59 schrieb Jim Fulton:

> Paul Everitt wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Consider the headings under "Need for page-composition support",
>> "Pipelines", "Transitive Adaptation", and the subset described
>> under "Subscription".  It might be possible to also do these
>> inside a WSGI Twisted in Zope 3.2, for example.  It might also be
>> possible to do these in mod_python.
>> They all depend on whether "Publication Post-Processing" should be
>> able to access content *beyond* what enters the publication process.
>>

> I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

We need a definition what we mean with pipelines. I understand them
with a unix-background, where elements of a pipeline are working on
the result of the earlier elements. This is data driven, so a
pipeline element does only get the information in the data plus some
parameters. Paul probably means the reaching back of the pipeline
elements in the application-server context. For example are the
pipeline elements be called by a controller, which additionally holds
the context of the object in the application space.

In contrast the elements could purly be data driven, working on xml-
data and nothing else. This looks more defined and is probably be
simpler, but I see and fear that then parameter stuff is encoded in
the xml-data to steer some transformations later in the pipeline.

__Janko