[Zope3-dev] Buildout in the Sandbox

Benji York benji at zope.com
Tue Sep 20 14:58:45 EDT 2005

I've placed some newly-open-sourced code into the zope.org sandbox:
svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/zc/buildout/trunk.

The buildout is a (relatively simple) system for assembling software
from several components.  Python and Non-Python components are
supported.  An example buildout is available at
svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/zc/buildout/trunk/example/ (be
forewarned that that builds (from source) Python and libxml2, so it'll
take a while to run to completion).

What the buildout is not:
  - it's not make, it doesn't do dependency analysis, it doesn't (in
    and of itself) help with compiling, linking, etc. like SCONS
  - it's not a replacement for zpkg; we think that the buildout and
    zpkg will interact, but one will not subsume the other
  - other stuff

What the buildout is:
  - a helpful way to deploy software
  - a helpful way of setting up a developer copy of a system
  - a way to make system configuration repeatable and versionable
  - other stuff

I'll be glad to entertain questions or comments on the list.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer