[Zope3-dev] Re: Content provider API

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sun Sep 25 07:28:50 EDT 2005

Hi Jim

I think it's important to have such a API. Otherwise we get
imcompatible 'additional content provider' implementations.

> What is a content provider and why do you need one?

A content provider is a comonent where knows about additional
content where should get rendered into a [1]region of the page template.
Additional content is a 'html fragment'. Right now there is a
vielwet implementation in zope.app.viewlet and before was a
pagelet implementation which can be defined as 'additional content'.

[1]Regions are implemented in the zope.app.viewlet.interface right now.
But I guess a region should be able to collect more then only viewlets.
The same pattern could be used for JSR 168 like portlet implementations.

Regards
Roger Ineichen