[Zope3-dev] XML header and TAL interpretor

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Sep 30 12:43:20 EDT 2005

Here are some high-level comments on this thread:

- I agree that a proposal is needed.

- I agree that we need to seperate content type from mode

- Historical note: the initial reaction to ZPT from humans was very negative
   until we added html mode.

- It would be highly desireable to be able to use a single macro definition
   in both modes.

   I spoke to Fred about this and it seems feasible to compile macros to
   both HTML and XML from either an HTML or XML source. IOW, the input and
   output modes could be distict and controlled independently.  The output
   mode would likely be a run-time parameter passed when rendering.

   I think this is the best thing to do, however, we would need someone to
   work on it.  I don't think Fred would have time to do it soon, although
   he could provide advice and review.