[Zope3-dev] ZCML, Paths, and the Things You Actually Want To Change At Configuration Time

Benji York benji at zope.com
Mon Apr 3 23:26:48 EDT 2006

Jeff Shell wrote:
> Is there any good pattern for dealing with this?

At ZC we use a system called, simply, "the buildout".

(We've nominally open sourced it by placing it in the sandbox
svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/zc/buildout/trunk.  I say
"nominally" because there wasn't much external interest at the time, and
haven't updated the sandbox to the current version in a while.)

The buildout handles things like downloading source and binaries,
compiling, making Zope instances, building config files, writing ctl
scripts, installing cron jobs, and lots more.  It happens to use
ConfigParser-style files.  We collect all of the system-level config
info in those files, and have separate files for "dev", "stage", and
"prod" environments.

Long story short: It's an interesting problem space, but, as you've
noticed, ZCML (alone) doesn't apply to this kind of "whole system"
configuration.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer