[Zope3-dev] eggs for Zope 3 extensions

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Apr 4 08:51:37 EDT 2006

Hi there,

I know there are lots of ideas about eggs in Zope 3 land, so I'd like to
pick the brains of the people who have looked into this more than I have
for a bit.

First to say what I'm not talking about: I'm not talking about eggifying
Zope 3 itself. This is a valuable project but hopefully mostly
independent of what I'd like to do.

There are a whole bunch of interesting Zope 3 extensions that I'd like
to use in a project, such as some of the various zc.* packages. Imagine
they've been turned into eggs. Now my project wants to use them. What's
the Zope 3 pattern for this, if any? The project needs to have some way
to do the following:

svn co myproject
cd myproject
make

where 'make' creates a Zope 3 installation, and downloads all the eggs
listed as requirements for this project from the net, and installs them
so that the Zope 3 instance actually picks them up.

In particular, are there any ideas of how the -configure.zcml and
-meta.zcml files would end up being generated and installed in
package-includes? Eggs do not provide for this directly, but perhaps
there are some ideas about Zope 3 specific eggs that do?

Regards,

Martijn