[Zope3-dev] eggs for Zope 3 extensions

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 14:03:28 EDT 2006

On 4/4/06, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
> Another question about eggs: I assume that Zope 3 extensions at present
> cannot be zipped, as Zope needs access to their zcml files. Correct?

Extensions that contain ZCML or other file-based resources (page
templates, ZConfig schema components) cannot currently be used
directly from a ZIP file.

I started work to support that on the zipimport-branch, but didn't
have time to finish the proposal that went with that.  That branch
allowed ZCML and page templates to be loaded from within ZIP files,
and support code to allow packages to refer to their own resources
abstractly, even without the egg-support code being available.  The
changes on that branch work with ZIP-based imports generally, and are
not specific to eggs (but I think they work fine with eggs).

There's a wiki page about this at

    http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ZIPImportSupportForZope3

  -Fred

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education." -- Mark Twain