[Zope3-dev] Re: what is ZCML?

whit whit at burningman.com
Mon Apr 17 14:36:48 EDT 2006

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Sidnei da Silva wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 02:16:17PM -0700, Jeff Shell wrote:
>> | And I think it's
>> | very important for the Python code to say what it does, so when I come
>> | back to a module five months later I'm not staring at MyFactory going
>> | "yeah, but what is it?"
>>
>> One thing that must not pass by unnoticed is that one of the points of
>> 'Why ZCML' is that it allows you to 'do stuff' (configuration?) with
>> plain python code that wasn't written for, nor depends on, Zope 3
>> directly.
>>
>> That is, to me, a very important feature. To be able to write some
>> python module that does not depend on Zope 3 at import time, but is
>> 'hooked into' Zope 3 externally, with ZCML, at 'configuration time'.
>>
>> As I understand, no other framework out there gives you this.
>
> I would suggest that is a component architecture feature, not a ZCML
> feature.

true, but zcml + configuration system is how you currently access this
feature.

The runtime execution of configuration + having a unified configuration
format has been fairly important to creating systems that have to deal
with backward compatibility in a transparent, organized way(I'm thinking
of Five here).

in zope3 such monkeypatch madness isn't a concern. but zcml isn't used
just in zope3 anymore.

-w