[Zope3-dev] RFC: The browser:page compromise

Fri Apr 21 01:53:13 EDT 2006

On 20.04.2006, at 18:56, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/TheBrowserPageCompromise
>
> I've long been thinking about how to make <browser:page /> simpler and
> less magical. Some radical ideas weren't received well and I couldn't
> convince even myself 100% that they were the way to go. Other
> brainstormings were dead ends.
>
> I therefore call this proposal a compromise. It simplifies, but it
> shouldn't annoy (Tres...). Note that I'm specifically only addressing
> <browser:page />, not <browser:view />; nor am I coming up with a
> framework for dealing with forms and their handlers (Jeff...).
>
> 'Nuff said. Your turn :)

-1

In the Proposal you say:

"Why is this a problem? Because certain behaviour is mixed into the
class created on-the-fly. This behaviour is not apparent in our view
class, yet we assume it exists. It's magic."

For me this is not a reason to change/add directives. This just
results in more work for keeping track with the zope3 releases in
client-projects. It is ok to improve things, but this is no
improvement for end users IMHO. This reminds me of the deprecation of
the vocabulary directive, which is also just a burden for end users
(i've missed that discussion).

and:
"""Browser "pages" are essentially just adapters to the Component
Architecture. Implementation details (template or not, etc.) should
not be of much interest during the registration."""

I don't think that the template is an implementation detail. IMHO For
a high level user the adapters are an implementation detail.

Regards, Bernd