[Zope3-dev] RFC: Components in content add menus

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Apr 21 07:36:01 EDT 2006

I'm in the process of greatly simpifying local component registration.
Among other things, I'm doing away with the requirement that local
components provide any magic interfaces, such as IRegisterable or
ILocalUtility.  A side effect of this is that components won't get the
containment constraints provided by IRegisterable and objects that
were previously only addable to site-management folders are now addable
to any container that doesn't have it's own constraints.

I'm wondering if this is a problem.  If I were using the ZMI as a
CMS, then this would be a problem, but I'm not and probably no one
should.  I'm inclined to say that this new behavior is not a problem.
Does anyone disagree?

BTW, some other notes on the new registration mechanisms:

- You can preview them on the jim-adpater branch.

- Components can be registered from anywhere.  In fact,
   locally registered components need not be located anywhere,
   although they must be pickleable.

- We still have site-management folders to provide a way to
   manage components outside of content space.  You can put components
   directly in the site manager itself.  I expect we'll eventually
   move toward using the site manager as the default component folder.