[Zope3-dev] RE: RFC: The browser:page compromise

dev at projekt01.ch dev at projekt01.ch
Sat Apr 22 07:38:20 EDT 2006

Hi Philipp

That's a difference. Jim's *adapter* refactoring will bring us
a speed up and solves some problems in the adapter registry
implementation. (lookup multiadapter by it's registration tuple).

Your proposal is just a *cosmetic* change which forces us to
change existing projects and like Florent says: We have to
write additional python classes for just that. I don't buy this
as really usefull.

> Sorry, I just don't buy it. We're still refactoring some key
> packages like zope.component and you're trying to shoot down
> a refactoring of 3 ZCML directives?

Yes,
Why the hell do I have to write additional python classes for
each page registration after your refactoring?

I don't by this as a improvment.

If we do this, I can add the browser:page directive back as
a high level directive and then the need for write additional
python classes is just a YAGNY like before. Is this really a
improvment?

Another problem is, that we have mor then 6 projects build
with zope3 up and running. Such a improvment is not nice
and will force us to change more then ~300 existing page
registrations.
It's a horror to think about how many python class we have
to write if we do this simplification!!!

You totaly ignore that Zope3 is not a experimental framework
now and stability is also a criteria which should recognized.

Please recognize that some people have built applications
with zope3 since more then 2 years now. And respect that
they are not willing to just change everything wich forces
them to go other ways then before without a real *improvment*.

btw, I don't dislike the refactoring at all, but I just dislike
that we have to update our projects for *this* simplification.
We have at least to provide both way of registration.
Perhaps it's really time to add a higher level directive pool
for such refactorings. Is this a option for you?

Regards
Roger Ineichen