[Zope3-dev] Re: zope3 instance with no zodb

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Sat Dec 2 19:08:59 EST 2006

Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2006, at 4:30 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> I remember Shane asking this a while ago and seem to remember the
>> answer was "no", but I'm hoping that's changed.
>>
>> Is it possible to have a Zope 3 instance that has no zodb backing
>> at all?
>
> Yes, of course.
[snip]
> Yes.  You have to configure an alternate publication object.  Launchpad
> does this.  The publication object plugs in to the publisher and, among
> other things, controls object traversal.  The default publisher uses a
> database object as a starting point for traversal.  An alternate
> publisher
> could use something else, including allowing multiple "root" objects.

Quite a few bits and pieces of Zope 3 also depend on there being
a __parent__, including the default security policy. You may therefore
either need to establish such a __parent__ relationship, or write
a new security policy.

Chris, when you finish doing this please document it so it'll be an
"of course" for the rest of us too. :)

Regards,

Martijn