[Zope3-dev] Re: wading through zcml...

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Dec 3 11:02:47 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> That said, I can live with most of the crap, but these dynamically
>> generated classes... wtf? why? why did that? why are they still
>> breathing?!
>
> *sigh* I don't know who came up with the idea, and I don't really care
> as I don't want to point fingers at anyone. The reasons are probably
> historical...

I'm mostly ignoring this discussion because it's a repeat of many past
discussions.

I just noticed this comment in passing.

I came up with the idea. Or more importantly, I came up with the
implementation in response to a desire to be able to not include
template specifications in Python.

If you want to specify the name of a template in ZCML, then you'll
have to invoke some magic.  Either you need to generate a class or
you need a magic factory that jams the template on to an instance.
I don't see that it makes much difference either way.

Now I'll go back to ignoring this thread, the desire to do so
increased by the sort of extreme over-simplifying remarks made.