[Zope3-dev] "Core" topic in Collector

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Fri Dec 15 07:41:37 EST 2006

Hi,

Jim Fulton wrote:
> There are much more interesting things to ask them for, like
> detailed instructions on how to reproduce a problem.

Fullack.

>> Right
>> now we do that with a separate field. (In other collectors this also
>> makes it easier to query/manage the bugs.)
>
> Certainly the field we have now is so free form that it would never be
> useful for any sort of analysis.

Jup. However it still makes most people tell us which version they are
talking about.

> When people design forms, they tend to include all sorts of fields
> to support queries and analyses that somehow never get done.
>
> I'm quite sure that no one has ever used our version field for
> any sort of analysis or query, because it wouldn't work.
> If one were serious about doing so, they would maintain a list
> of versions and make this a select list.
>
> Note that I don't really care much about this specific
> case.  I'm mostly grumbling about the very common tendency to
> over engineer input forms.
>
> I am confident that every field that is added to a form
> decreases the number of people who will be willing to fill
> out the form.

Yup. I've been using bugzilla for a long time and when I report bugs to
the gentoo project, they make it very easy to fill in only a few fields.
However, their bug management makes sure that they update those fields
as they need them for individual bugs and for management purposes.

But, we do not have a high traffic collector by any means, so if we save
us some work and just keep it clean and simple we can spend more time on
fixing the bugs and not on the management task.

See my other mail for some small improvements that I'd like for the
collector.

Christian