[Zope3-dev] "Core" topic in Collector

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Dec 15 09:46:33 EST 2006

On Dec 15, 2006, at 7:37 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Christian Theune wrote:
>>> Hmm. Would that mean we should provide better different labels in
>>> the
>>> collector?
>>
>> IMO, we should collect less data. A common design mistake is to make
>> systems over complicated, including forms that collect too much data.
>> The Zope3 collector isn't actually *that* bad in this respect.  IMO,
>> it could do without the topic and version info fields.
>
> Ah. By less data you didn't mean less issues/bugs but less qualified
> data fields. Hmm. At least I agree if that means less *required*
> fields.
> And the current collector isn't very bad in that, I agree too.
>
> The topic could probably go away, and maybe we could also remove
> some of
> the options from the classification.
>
> (I bet that "issue", "feature", "bug", "bug+solution" would be enough,
> maybe "feature+solution" but I don't like the "+solution" very much.)
>
>>> Didn't we start some discussion a while ago about moving away
>>> from them?
>>> Does someone have this project on his radar still?
>>
>> Yawn.  IMO, the collect, despite it's flaws, isn't bad enough to
>> spend time on, especially given other priorities. OTOH, I'd be happy
>> to just switch to using Launchpad, which would require basically no
>> effort, especially if we don't bother transferring old collector
>> data.
>
> I'm sorry to bore you with that, but I didn't notice that we had a
> definite outcome of the last discussion.

Of course not.  That's what makes such discussions so tiresome.
People have lots of ideas and complaints about easy solutions,
like sticking with the current collector or moving to launchpad,
but are unwilling to actually step forward and make commitments to
implement other options.

> This also goes into what
> Martijn said the last time:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.zope3/18957/focus=18957

That link isn't very helpful. It points to a message in which Martijn
says nothing and
a thread in which he says many things.

> I'd be happy using launchpad too. The last link points to a discussion
> that didn't have any decision in the end. I wouldn't go as far as
> abandoning the old collector data.

Then I think we should stick with the current collector unless someone
comes forward to do the work of moving the data, or unless we decide
we don't need to.

>>> K, that's enough for me to ignore the one bug then. ;) You mind
>>> if I put
>>> off the meaningless 'core' label for now so I can manage the bugs
>>> a bit
>>> better?
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by "put off".  I'd be happy to change
>> the topic options.  Or, perhaps change it to have one topic:
>> "Ignore this field".
>
> I meant to say that I wanted to remove the 'core' label from that
> specific bug to make it stay out of my query for the things we need to
> tackle for a 3.3.1.
>
> PS: I'll start using the importance '3.3 release'  as a 'whatever next
> release in the 3.3 branch is to happen'-marker.

I think that is a great idea.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org